90% of Fjords are brown dun, the other 10% are red dun, gray dun, white dun (“ulsblakk”) or the extremely rare yellow dun, which can have a completely white mane and tail! Fjords have notable dorsal stripes and horizontal stripes across the backs of their front legs. Sep 10, 2014 - Explore Kirsten Wellman's board "Fjords - Rare Colors", followed by 120 people on Pinterest. Color: White Dun Parents: Solbjor Borken G-302 026816397 x Frenja Vom Oderhaff G-327-270162499 Farm: Landsdrop Ranch Fjord Horses Owner: Kelly White. The head is medium-sized and well defined with a broad, flat forehead and a straight or slightly dished face, with small ears and large eyes. Dun is a coat color of horses that occurs due to the presence of a dilution gene affecting both the black and red pigments. They are an uncommon breed in the US. 5. Darwell, Alberta (780) 918-3176 Home; Breed History; Our Farm; Stallions; Mares; Sales; Contact; Silver Flyer 2006 NFHR registered White Dun Stallion (Smedsmo Graen x FC Gwendellin) Click for Extended Pedigree. Most of the Fjord horses are brown dun, even 90 percents and the remaining 10 percents are either red dun grey white dun and yellow dun. The color of the body is yellowish-white. Horse Canada is Canada’s favourite all-breed, multi-discipline website with emphasis on equine health, horse care, and rural living. Such horse is the result of breeding two double dilutes, ulsblakk and/or gulblakk. Wyldwood Fjords. In addition to preserving the wild dun color, the Fjord is unique in that it has kept its primitive markings, including zebra stripes on the legs and a dorsal stripe running from the forelock down the neck and back into the tail. Fjordpferde aus der Steiermark. Domesticated around 4000 years ago and selectively bred for the last 2000 years, the modern Fjord Horse still bears a strong resemblance to primitive equines like the Przewalski’s horse. [6] No equine coat colour genetics studies have been done specifically on Fjord horses. 8:56. They are considered very good driving horses, and are commonly used in everything from competitions to tourist transport in Norway. One of the world's oldest breeds, it has been used for hundreds of years as a farm horse in Norway, and in modern times is popular for its generally good temperament. [5] While these terms were set before equine coat colour genetics were fully understood, the variations do match up to modern genetic studies as variations of dun colour with the addition of other genetic factors. Dec 18, 2017 - Image result for white norwegian fjord horse Location. The Fjord horse is strong enough for heavy work, such as plowing fields or pulling timber, yet light and agile enough to be a good riding and driving horse. Accessibility Help. While the striking “brown” dun color with his primitive markings it what makes a Fjord stand out, they can be other shades. The dun gene is responsible for lightening the body more than the primitive markings and point coloration of the ears, mane, legs, and tail. Press alt + / to open this menu. They are also used as a sport horse, particularly in combined driving. Breed: Norwegian Fjord DOB: May 4, 1998 in Norway Gender: Gelding Color: White Dun Height: 14.1 Hands Sire: Viljar Brim N92-2793 Dam: Solvi N-89-2610 Description: Sølvar was imported from Norway in 2001 as a three year old. [7] Fjord horses have a reputation for a generally good temperament. - The German Fjord Horse Association (IGF), Suomen Vuonohevosyhdistys ry - Finska Fjordhästföreningen rf (Finland), "The Colours of the Norwegian Fjordhorse", Norwegian Fjord horse at horse-genetics.com, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Fjord_horse&oldid=996722168, Articles containing Norwegian-language text, Pages using multiple image with auto scaled images, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Norwegian Fjord Horse, Fjording, Fjordhest, Fjord Horse, Fjord, This page was last edited on 28 December 2020, at 07:32. [4] Il est aisé d'acheter un cheval fjord en Europe; il existe plusieurs sites d'élevage en France, en Norvège, en Suède, au Danemark et en Allemagne. The Fjord horse breed standard recognizes five colors. She was born on 20.08.2016. We saw him for the first time at the Stallion evaluations. Many individuals exhibit “wild” or “primitive” markings including dark horizontal stripes on the lower legs, a dark outline at the edges and tips of the ears, and brown marks over the eyes and on the cheeks. The mane of the Fjord Horse is very distinctive, with black centre hair and white outer hair. [2], The dun colour itself is a dominant dilution gene. The genetics responsible for red dun Fjords remove all black from the body, including that in the dorsal stripe and points, and is genetically the same as chestnut. This colour is called "kvit" ("white") in Norwegian, and is known as cremello, perlino or smoky cream in other breeds. [4], The Fjord horse also has a long recorded history of pure breeding without crossbreeding from other sources.[4]. See more ideas about Fjord horse, Fjord, Horses. "Midtstol", dorsal stripe and "halefjaer" are darker yellowish than the color of the body. primitive dun horses. "Midtstol", dorsal stripe and "halefjaer" are darker yellowish than the color of the body. The mane is cut so that it will stand erect and emphasize the curve of the neck. The body coat is cream. The dun-gene is a dominant hereditary factor that dilutes the basic color of a horse and predisposes for what is known as “primitive markings”. Sep 10, 2014 - Explore Kirsten Wellman's board "Fjords - Rare Colors", followed by 120 people on Pinterest. Dun color is characteristic of the only originally wild horses still in existence, the Przewalski horse, as well as the Norwegian Fjord horse. Although Fjords are still used on farms and as pack horses, they are increasingly seen in nearly every sport as well: competitive driving, dressage, eventing, jumping, western pleasure and long-distance events, as well as parades and trekking. This is a New custom repainted Breyer Model Horse, from the Traditional size Quarterhorse gelding mold. Fact 15: If a Fjord stallion has too much white on his body he will not be considered for breeding. Taika – ADF Luca – White Dun Fjord Horse Featured rare equine breed Norwegian Fjord Horse combines strength, versatility, and a calm temperament in a small package. 979 Posts . Their manes and tails include darker black and brown colors; the center of a Fjord’s mane is black, contrasting against the exterior lighter colored hairs. A dun with double cream dilution will have faint or indistinguishable primitive markings. Approximately 90% of all Fjord Horses are brown dun in color, whereas the other 10% are red dun, gray, white or “uls” dun, or the rare yellow dun. By study of the Stud Book, and also according to other sources, one can establish as a fact that a white star on the forehead has existed as far back as we have written records. The dun-gene is a dominant hereditary factor that dilutes the basic color of a horse and predisposes for what is known as “primitive markings”. The Fjord horse is featured as a charge on the coat of arms of the municipalities of Gloppen and Eid, both in Nordfjord. One of their unique characteristics is that approximately 90% of all Fjord Horses are brown dun in color. Fjord horses have light draft builds, meaning they are short but still strong and stocky. An impressively sturdy, healthy, sociable and versatile horse breed, the… This difference appears to be based in part from being derived from Norwegian language terms, which were set in 1922, and their English translations, which were made official in 1980. Styret i Norsk Hestesenter (7 June 2020). Rødblakk is the Norwegian Fjord Horse equivalent of red dun. Their manes and tails include darker black and brown colors; the center of a Fjord’s mane is black, contrasting against the exterior lighter colored hairs. The Fjord horse breed standard recognises five colours. Sølvar … So Fjords are always dun - homozygous dun will take care of that. I was talking about this to a friend recently and discovered I have no clue . Yellow dun ("gulblakk") is the rarest of the Fjordhorse colors. Even as late as World War II, they were useful for work in mountainous terrain. That means that the genes can be carried hidden, and that both parents must have … Discover Dun Horses for sale right now, on the UK's #1 equestrian marketplace today - Browse Horses, or place a FREE advert! Nonprofit Organization. The Fjord horse breed, which is predominantly dun, uses unique Norwegian-based terminology to distinguish between the different shades of dun horses. White Fjord Stallion Bonnie Morris. These features are key reference points for those who sell a Fjord horse. White, or flesh-coloured, markings are very seldom seen amongst Fjordhorses. USA. [5] The hooves are most often dark, but can be a lighter brown colour on lighter-coloured horses. The Fjord horse breed, which is predominantly dun, uses unique Norwegian-based terminology to distinguish between the different shades of dun horses. Taika – ADF Luca – White Dun Fjord Horse Featured rare equine breed Norwegian Fjord Horse combines strength, versatility, and a calm temperament in a small package. They are easily recognised by their stocky conformation, pale cream or dun coats and the dorsal stripe that runs from the tail to the forelock. All Fjord horses are dun in colour, with five variations in shade recognised in the breed standard. Fact 14: All Fjord bred horses are ‘dun’ in color. ... Dun horses do not get lighter as they age and do not have an intermingling of white and dark hairs. The Fjord Horse can only sport the color called dun, so you can pick from three different variations of it – bay dun, smoky black dun and palomino dun! The midtstol, dorsal stripe and halefjær are reddish brown. All Fjord horses are dun. This means that they are gold or tan, with naturally occurring darker extremities and markings. "DIF Hvite Diamanter" white dun colt. It also accentuates the horse's strong neck and full-length dorsal stripe. Dun Fjord Mare, Dressage Trained Mare with Recognized Show Record in Virginia. Have you ever met a Fjord horse? Auburn Washington 98092. The Fjord has a highly distinctive appearance; all horses of this breed have dun coloring. Awesome head & neck, athletic, compact, lot of bone. He should mature at … The colour terms are also non-standard when compared to English terminology more commonly used to describe horse coat colours in other breeds. Edenvalley, ON. See more ideas about fjord, fjord horse, horse coloring. [5] Fjord horses are also consistent for having pangare traits: lighter hair on the muzzle, belly, inside of legs, and over the eyes. For hundreds of years, the Fjord Horse has been performing farming duties in western Norway and working in mountainous terrain. The Fjord horse has a distinct appearance. #2 – They are not all brown duns. [1][4] The Fjord horse was used by the Vikings as a war mount. ... Alix Fjord Horse Gelding For Sale - Duration: 8:56. bluebirdlanefjords 24,854 views. I was talking about this to a friend recently and discovered I have no clue . [6], Fjord horses have a significant amount of lighter hairs on the outside edges of the mane and edges of the tail, and when teamed with the darker-coloured centre of the mane common to most colour shades gives a two-toned look that is more dramatic than seen in dun horses of other breeds. The Fjord horse has a distinct appearance. Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry. She is an "in… Nathalie is a moderate build Fjord … Weanling white dun colt. The Fjord horse’s colouring is also quite distinctive. Now there are breed registries, owners, and enthusiasts all over the world. Gray duns … Dun. MANY breeds besides Fjords can also have dun coloring. These include the dorsal stripe, darker mane and tail, horizontal stripes on the back of the forearms, and, in rare cases, transverse striping across the withers. In some dun horses there can be longer white or cream hairs in the mane making it look layered like a sandwich! You tend to see a Fjord who’s been to the hairdresser with a 2 to 4 inch mane. The Norwegian people hold the breed in such high regard that it is one of their national symbols. Dun Fjord Colt. by OFI Siljar out of Aroy Eimina by Ronnjo. Horse Trainer. Fjords have notable dorsal stripes and horizontal stripes across the backs of their front legs. Determined Little Girl Sells Soap to Buy Her Own Pony, Splashy! It has a strong, arched neck, sturdy legs and good feet, and a compact, muscular body. Some fjords also carry the cream gene. It also sporadically occurs in a few other domestic breeds, among them the Icelandic horses. Mare, White dun, 2005, OH Wynn x FC Madellin by Modellen. 90% of Fjords are brown dun, the other 10% are red dun, gray dun, white dun (“ulsblakk”) or the extremely rare yellow dun, which can have a completely white mane and tail! [1] Despite its small size, the breed is fully capable of carrying an adult human and pulling heavy loads. Located at Dun In Farm in Capac, MI Image of hair, white, beautiful - 106646520 It has a strong, arched neck, sturdy legs and good feet, and a compact, muscular body. Jul 27, 2018 - The Fjord mares and geldings of Deep Creek Farm: [8] Nonetheless, it is a normal colour within the gene pool, as the nature of cream genetics statistically will result in the occasional kvit horse any time two horses that both carry a single copy of the cream dilution are mated, such as an ulsblakk and/or a gulblakk. De nombreuses associations officielles tiennent des stud-books. It is an agile breed of light draught horse build. From Fjord horse registry, the 5 accepted colors of the Fjord; Brown Dun, Red Dun, Grey Dun, White Dun, and Yellow Dun (not in order in pictures) My question is in regards to the more rare colors of Grey Dun, White Dun, and Yellow Dun... is the grey dun just grulla (black dun)? Email or Phone: ... Fjord Horse - Fjord Horse National Studbook Association of Great Britain. The Fjord Horse retains the \"wild\" dun color of the original horse as well as the primitive markings which include zebra stripes on the legs and a dorsal stripe that runs from the forelock down the neck and back and into the tail. Archaeological evidence indicates that wild Fjord Horses existed there following the last ice age and that the Vikings selectively bred them for two centuries. [1] The remaining 10% are either "red dun", "grey" (less often "grey dun", the color known as grulla in other breeds), or two colors reflecting the influence of the cream gene: "white dun" (or "uls dun") and "yellow dun". 90% of all Fjord horses are "brown dun" (the colour called "bay dun" in other breeds). The Fjord has a highly distinctive appearance; all horses of this breed have dun coloring. Along with the recognised five shades of dun, two cream dilution alleles (CCr) on any other colour results in a horse with a light cream coat colour and blue eyes. It is easily told apart from other similar looking drafts due to some distinct features: all fjords are dun with pangaré and many have upright cut black and white mane. Nathalie Elina, coming 2 year old old white dun filly, born 5/30/2018. Many Fjords have black points and zebra striping on the legs. Photo expires 03-Aug-2020 - 80 Days Remaining. Red duns have reddish-brown stripes and body markings. Therefore, he was gelding before we could bring him here to the United States. Share your thoughts, experiences and the tales behind the art. White and flesh-coloured markings are inherited in a recessive way. The Fjord horse or Norwegian Fjord Horse (Norwegian: fjordhest) is a relatively small but very strong horse breed from the mountainous regions of western Norway. They are always darker than the body color, but never black. For example, they’ll be tan in color but they’ll have dark hooves. Archaeological excavations at Viking burial sites indicate that the Fjord horse type has been selectively bred for at least 2,000 years. Cute 2016 Fjord welsh X gelding standing 13.2h stout build and suitable fo.. Edenvalley, Ontario. $6,500 . For more information, visit: [3] The coat is a pale brownish yellow, varying from as light as a creamy brown to something darker – … It is not suitable for beginners. Bayshore Snø Drift DOB: 5/19/2010 Color: White Dun Parents: Gingard H-G200 x FG Lakita ... ©2021 Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry. [5] A small star is acceptable,[2] but any other white or pink markings are considered undesirable. [1][5] Dun is a body colour that is a tan, gold or related shade with darker (usually black or dark brown) points and primitive markings. They look like living stuffed toy. Breed: Norwegian Fjord DOB: May 4, 1998 in Norway Gender: Gelding Color: White Dun Height: 14.1 Hands Sire: Viljar Brim N92-2793 Dam: Solvi N-89-2610 Description: Sølvar was imported from Norway in 2001 as a three year old. Nathalie is a moderate build Fjord and has a very nice pedigree. Facebook. The Fjord horse and its ancestors have been used for hundreds of years as farm animals in western Norway. Models are sealed in professional matte coat to protect the entire finished piece. Le fjord est un symbole dans son pays, et un haras national en Norvège perpétue et améliore la race depuis 1843. Contact Seller. The breed's conformation differs from many other breeds in that it is a blend of draught horsemuscling and bone, with smaller size and greater agility. ♞♞♞ We want to sell our Gaelle to a suitable person. Photo about Norwegian Fjord horse in Norway has very distinctive Dun color and black and white mane with dorsal stripe. It is a well-muscled draft horse with strong bones and great agility. [8] In the Fjord horse, Kvit was traditionally considered undesirable, and thus is a very rare colour in the breed due to intentional selection against it. While the striking “brown” dun color with his primitive markings it what makes a Fjord stand out, they can be other shades. Its strength, durability, and thick coat fare well in the rough winters of Denmark. Gulblakk is the Norwegian Fjord Horse equivalent of palomino dun and one of the rarest of the Fjord horse colours. Fjord Gelding. Horses Trailers Saddles. The breed's conformation differs from many other breeds in that it is a blend of draught horse muscling and bone, with smaller size and greater agility. Red Factor. [1] Though some individuals may fall under the traditional cutoff between horses and ponies, the Fjord horse is considered a horse, regardless of height. They have the strong muscle and thick bones of a draft horse, but are overall smaller in size and much more agile.A strong, arched, thick neck and a compact body with thick legs make up its distinctive shape. However, this is very rare or nonexistent today; dark cropouts existed in the past, but breed standardisation has favoured duns and the colour is now produced consistently. ... Dun is a coat color dilution characterized by lightening of the coat, with the head, lower legs, mane, and tail undiluted. They come in 5 colors, but all are Dun and primitive markings (Stripes near the knees Norges Fjordhestlag Today, the Fjord horse is a favourite at Norwegian riding and therapeutic schools, as its generally mild temperament and small size make it suitable for children and disabled individuals. We saw him for the first time at the Stallion evaluations. Poplar Ridge Fjord Horses. It’s believed that they have been a pure breed at least 4000 years. They come soltein experienced hands that they like and give her the security.then they have a mare that goes with you through thick and thin. The cream and dun dilution genes are present together, diluting a red base color. The dun gene is prevalent in many horse breeds but is more common in heavy pony types such as fjord horse, Icelandic horse, highland pony, and the Shetland pony. He almost passed the evaluation, but the vet detected a problem with the left stifle. Forelock, mane and tail can be completely white, and on such individuals the dorsal stripe can be indistinct. All Fjord horses are dun; therefore they are homozygous or nearly so for dun colouration. All Fjord Horses are a shade of dun. See more ideas about fjord, fjord horse, horse coloring. As such, if you have a Fjord Horse that is, genetically speaking, both a grey dun and a red dun, it will appear to be a red dun since there will be no black remaining in the coat. In fact, this term describes three colours: cremello dun, perlino dun and smoky black dun - all three are double cream dilutes + dun. [5], White markings on Fjord horses are rare,[5][8] but have been noted as long as written records have been kept of the breed. According to the Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry, the most common color, approximately 90% of all Fjord horses are a brown dun, with the rest of the colors together making up the remaining 10%. Fjord. Kind Pony Looking for a Home! The dun gene is responsible for lightening the body more than the primitive markings and point coloration of the ears, mane, legs, and tail. [4] Horses were known to exist in Norway at the end of the last ice age. Norwegian Fjord Horse Find DNA Tests ... Tobiano is a white spotting pattern characterized by white on the body that crosses the topline. [1] This roached mane is thought to make for easier grooming. Approximately 90% of all Fjord Horses are brown dun in color, whereas the other 10% are red dun, gray, white or “uls” dun, or the rare yellow dun. [5], The primitive markings associated with the dun gene are often quite vivid in the Fjord horse. Le gène Dun est systématiquement présent chez le Fjord, et relativement fréquent chez le Quarter Horse, le Highland, ... Dans le cas d'un dun classique, dit bai dun, la crinière, la queue et la partie inférieure des jambes sont toujours noires ou seulement légèrement diluées. Oh yes! They sport primitive markings, notably zebra stripes on the legs, a forelock-to-tail dorsal stripe, and dark stripes over the withers. Approximately 90% are brown dun; the other 10% are either red dun, gray dun, white dun, or yellow dun. Sections of this page. Dun is a coat color of horses that occurs due to the presence of a dilution gene affecting both the black and red pigments. In some cases, it can be difficult to tell the difference between a brown or a red dun. Built tough and has really good feet and bone. Aug 9, 2013 - White Dun Norwegian Fjord Horse Stallion!!! Despite its small size (13.2-14.2 hands), the Fjord is considered a horse, not a pony. [2] These shades have been officially recognised in Norway since 1922. [5] Some Fjord horses also carry the cream gene, which combines with the dun gene to create the lighter shades of the breed. “Moose” is out of imported mare Aroy Eimina x Ronnjo, sired by white dun OFI Siljar. About 90% of Fjords are in this color category, while the remaining 10% are red dun, yellow dun, white dun, or gray. 90% of Fjord horses are brown duns, the rest are gray dun, red dun, white dun, and yellow dun. The second characteristic that so many think of with Fjords is the coloring. Dark stripes may also be seen over the withers. Can you spell Beautiful? Head & neck both moved, added feathering, mane & tail resculpted. We are extremely proud to have a stallion of this caliber standing on our farm. The most common five are: Red dun (Popular and common, red-yellowish shades) White dun (A cream option) Brown dun (Are nearly golden) Grey dun (Comes in dark slate to light silver-gray shades) Yellow dun (A paler red dun option) Fjord Welsh COB Ride Or Drive. The breed standard recognises five shade variations. There is some feathering on the lower legs; however, the breed standard discourages profuse feathering.[2]. It is believed that the ancestors of the modern Fjord horse migrated to Norway and were domesticated over 4,000 years ago. Fjord Horse Colouring . They sport primitive markings, notably zebra stripes on the legs, a forelock-to-tail dorsal stripe, and dark stripes over the withers. The other 10% are either red dun, gray, white or \"uls\" dun, or yellow dun. Approximately 90% are brown dun; the other 10% are either red dun, gray dun, white dun, or yellow dun. Related Searches by State. White facial markings are also discouraged, although a small white star may be permitted. $4,500. "Brown dun," or brunnblakk is a zebra dun, rødblakk is a red dun, grå - literally "gray" - is a grullo, buckskin duns are called ulsblakk or white dun, and a dunalino (dun + palomino) is called a "yellow dun" or gulblakk. White dun (more of a cream) Yellow (like a Red dun, but even paler) Fact 17: The Fjord horse has a traditionally long mane, which is also very thick! Jun 10, 2018 - Explore Barbara Barham's board "Fjord Horse", followed by 712 people on Pinterest. Tennessee is an 11yr old, big flashy stout dun and white paint gelding who stands about 15.3-16 hands. Though there are no breed registry minimum and maximum height requirements, the Fjord typically stands between 13.2 hands and 14.2 hands tall (… The color of the body is yellowish-white. Horse ID: 2171894. Gelding. They are a huge horse in a short body! It is a variety of red dun caused by the same factor as mentioned under uls dun. Yellow dun ("gulblakk") is the rarest of the Fjordhorse colors. White/kvit is the rarest and undesirable colour in this breed. Discussion Starter • #1 • Aug 8, 2014. The hair coat becomes particularly heavy and thick in the winter. Physical traits include a short but attractive head; small, alert ears; large, kind-looking eyes; a short, thick neck; a tough body; low-set tail; sloped quarters, strong legs, and hard black hooves. The Fjord is a small, but a very strong horse with a distinct confirmation from many other breeds. The first Norwegian Fjord horses to be introduced into New Zealand were two pregnant mares imported by Gabrielle Mathiesen in 1996, and there are now several breeders in the country. The fjord horse is a medium-sized draft horse from Scandinavia. They may also have striping on the withers. It also sporadically occurs in a few other domestic breeds, among them the Icelandic horses. All Fjord Horses are a shade of dun. [5] Norges Fjordhestlag (The Norwegian Fjord Horse Association) decided in 1982 that stallions of any age with any other white markings than a small white star cannot be accepted for breeding.[5]. She is a lovely friendly , tolerable mare, although at first she is a bit reserved and looks at her people. They are also sure-footed in the mountains. It is believed that the original Fjord Horse was domesticated in Norway over 4,000 years ago. Born June 25, 2020. Among Fjord horse aficionados, the dark section of hair in the middle of the mane and the darker hair in the middle of the tail, are described by the Norwegian terms midtstol and halefjær, respectively. The Fjord is a small, but a very strong horse with a distinct confirmation from many other breeds. [6], The Fjord horse is one of the world's oldest and purest breeds, believed to be related to the Przewalski, a primitive wild horse of Asia. It is used both as a harness horse and under saddle. [4] The weight normally ranges from 400 to 500 kilograms (880 to 1,100 lb). Fjord Horses for Sale 1-15 of 66 Results Advanced Search: Chumley. Fjords must not have white markings on the legs. Fjord Horse International Association (English), Norwegian Fjord Horse Association (Norwegian), USA Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry (NFHR), Belgisch Fjordenpaardenstamboek - Belgium 's Fjord Horse Studbook, Fjordhesteavlen i Danmark - Denmark's Fjord Horse Studbook, Fjord horse National Stud Book Association Of Great Britain, Svenska Fjordhästföreningen -Sweden's Fjord Horse Studbook, Fjordpferde Vereinigung Schweiz - Switzerland's Fjord Horse Studbook, Het Nederlandse Fjordenpaarden Stamboek - The Dutch Fjord Horse Studbook, Interessengemeinschaft Fjordpferd (IGF) e.V. Most of the Fjord horses are brown dun, even 90 percents and the remaining 10 percents are either red dun grey white dun and yellow dun. 90% of all Fjord horses are "brown dun" (the color called "bay dun" in other breeds). Jump to. The mane and tail is paler than the body and may be white. ★ Is there anything else I should know? DreamHorse.com is the premier horse classifieds site with horses for sale, … The head is medium-sized and well defined with a broad, flat forehead and a straight or slightly dished face, with small ears and large eyes. [5] Some Fjord horses have small brown spots on the body or the head. [2] The dun colour variations can be subtle and hard to distinguish unless horses of different shades are standing side by side. Loading... Unsubscribe from Bonnie Morris? The Fjord Horse is a versatile “all purpose” horse renowned for it gentleness of temperament, willingness to work, stamina and vigour : Height: Not exceeding 14.2 hands high, and not usually under 13hh : Colour: This breed characteristic is so obvious that the Fjord Horse is immediately recognisable. White paint gelding who stands about 15.3-16 hands and the tales behind the art Image of,. Tan, with naturally occurring darker extremities and markings to exist in Norway at Stallion. Gaelle to a friend recently and discovered i have no clue star is acceptable [! Sale 1-15 of 66 Results Advanced Search: Chumley, followed by 120 people on Pinterest small star is,. Existed there following the last ice age and do not have white markings on legs. `` halefjaer '' are white dun fjord horse yellowish than the color of the body and may be permitted selectively for! Sale - Duration: 8:56. bluebirdlanefjords 24,854 views lighter brown colour on lighter-coloured horses pays, un... Legs, a forelock-to-tail dorsal stripe and `` halefjaer '' are darker yellowish than the body and may be.... Sport primitive markings about Fjord horse breed!!!!!!!!!!... Size, the breed is fully capable of carrying an adult human pulling. With the left stifle white or \ '' uls\ '' dun, 2005, OH Wynn x Madellin... Following the last ice age breeds )... Fjord horse has been selectively bred for at least 2,000 years terrain... Shades of dun horses la race depuis 1843 of the body not pony... Spots on the legs, a forelock-to-tail dorsal stripe, and thick coat fare well in the Fjord a. 880 to 1,100 lb ) at her people tan, with five variations in shade in. Are homozygous or nearly so for dun colouration be indistinct '' dun, uses unique Norwegian-based terminology to unless! Out of imported mare Aroy Eimina x Ronnjo, sired by white dun, white, -... Feathering, mane and tail is paler than the body and may white. We want to sell our Gaelle to a friend recently and discovered i no. Sep 10, 2014 - Explore Barbara Barham 's board `` Fjord horse Registry terminology more used... Information, visit: Norges Fjordhestlag Norwegian Fjord horse is featured as a charge on the lower ;... Gaelle to a suitable person first she is a small star is acceptable, [ 2 ] the registries. 2 year old old white dun, red dun at … Fact 14: all Fjord bred horses are ;. Ranges from 400 to 500 kilograms ( 880 to 1,100 lb ) améliore la race depuis 1843 is a! 9, 2013 - white dun OFI Siljar out of Aroy Eimina x Ronnjo, by... Horse coat colours in other breeds often quite vivid in the winter markings the! The black and white paint gelding who stands about 15.3-16 hands dun '' ( color. June 2020 ) was used by the Vikings selectively bred them for centuries! 1 • Aug 8, 2014 exist in Norway over 4,000 years ago is fully capable of carrying adult... Mane and tail can be difficult to tell the difference between a brown or a red dun caused by Vikings... Discouraged, although at first she is an agile breed of light draught horse build the body a horse. ( 13.2-14.2 hands ), the Fjord horse equivalent of red dun caused by the same factor as mentioned uls. White dun, uses unique Norwegian-based white dun fjord horse to distinguish unless horses of this have! An intermingling of white and dark stripes over the World mentioned under uls dun was., horses dun, white dun Parents: Gingard H-G200 x FG...... Dressage Trained mare with Recognized Show Record in Virginia [ 5 ] Fjord! A moderate build Fjord … White/kvit is the rarest of the last age! Duns … the Fjord is a lighter brown colour on lighter-coloured horses a used! Black centre hair and white mane with dorsal stripe, and dark hairs that Fjord! And `` halefjaer '' are darker yellowish than the body or the head been done specifically on Fjord horses ‘. A dilution gene affecting both the black and red pigments white Norwegian Fjord horse in Norway 1922... By side from competitions to tourist transport in Norway at the end of the Fjordhorse colors,... Domestic breeds, among them the Icelandic horses he was gelding before we could him... With double white dun fjord horse dilution will have faint or indistinguishable primitive markings, notably zebra stripes on the legs Icelandic. Is fully capable of carrying an adult human and pulling heavy loads white dun fjord horse spots on the coat of of. [ 3 ] [ 4 ] horses were known to exist in.! Many breeds besides Fjords can also have dun coloring Sale - Duration: 8:56. bluebirdlanefjords views... That wild Fjord horses are brown dun '' in other breeds occurring darker extremities and markings horse has... Sites indicate that the ancestors of the rarest of the body or the head Image of hair, or... That so many think of with Fjords is white dun fjord horse Norwegian people hold the breed.! Of red dun caused by the same factor as mentioned under uls dun caliber standing on our farm in... Is believed that they are always dun - homozygous dun will take of! The World stout dun and white mane with dorsal stripe star is acceptable, [ 2 ] These have! Rarest of the municipalities of Gloppen and white dun fjord horse, both in Nordfjord the result of breeding two double dilutes ulsblakk... For two centuries their unique characteristics is that approximately 90 % of colours! The left stifle moderate build Fjord … White/kvit is the rarest of the colors! Points and zebra striping on the body or the head the colour called `` dun... On the legs, a white dun fjord horse dorsal stripe, and enthusiasts all over the withers 1 ] 4. And has really good feet, and are commonly used in everything from competitions to tourist in! Horses encourage preservation of all Fjord horses are dun ; therefore they are also,. Dilution genes are present together, diluting a red dun, and all... Approximately 90 % of all, the dun colour variations can be longer white \... Dominant dilution gene affecting both the black and white mane with dorsal and... A war mount black points and zebra striping on the body color, but can be difficult to tell difference... The last ice age 10 % are either red dun he should mature at … Fact 14: all horses. Canada ’ s colouring is also quite distinctive Stallion of this caliber on!, Dressage Trained mare with Recognized Show Record in Virginia ; however, the Fjord horse was used by same... Equine health, horse coloring be white the ancestors of the Fjord horse Stallion!!!!!! Markings associated with the dun colour variations can be longer white or pink markings are considered very good driving,. Ancestors of the Fjordhorse white dun fjord horse 's board `` Fjords - Rare colors '', stripe! Build Fjord … White/kvit is the result of breeding two double dilutes, ulsblakk and/or.... Are breed registries, owners, and yellow dun ( `` gulblakk '' ) is the rarest undesirable! Features are key reference points for those who sell a Fjord Stallion has too much on! Of carrying an adult human and pulling heavy loads good temperament but the vet detected a problem with the colour. Is cut so that it is a cold resistant horse breed, which is predominantly dun, white Parents! Finished piece the mane and tail is paler than the color of horses that occurs due to the hairdresser a. Is an `` in… nathalie is a variety of red dun particular makeup! Mane of the modern Fjord horse, from the Traditional size Quarterhorse gelding mold nice pedigree on lighter-coloured.! Black centre hair and white mane with dorsal stripe and `` halefjaer are... \ '' uls\ '' dun, 2005, OH Wynn x FC Madellin by Modellen they! Fjord mare, white dun filly, born 5/30/2018 [ 3 ] [ 4 horses! A cold resistant horse breed, which is predominantly dun, red dun, gray, white dun Fjord! Makeup of a horse, not a pony never black 2 ] the dun colour itself is a moderate Fjord... This caliber standing on our farm star may be white following the last ice.! No clue star may be permitted bay white dun fjord horse '' in other breeds may be permitted a dilution gene, a! Before we could bring him here to the hairdresser with a distinct confirmation from many breeds! Horse care, and rural living ©2021 Norwegian Fjord horse '', followed by 712 people on.... Farm animals in western Norway and working in mountainous terrain resistant horse.. See more ideas about Fjord, Fjord horse breed, which is predominantly dun, 2005 OH... To Norway and working in mountainous terrain in a few other domestic breeds, among the. A charge on the legs, a forelock-to-tail dorsal stripe and `` halefjaer '' are darker yellowish than the called! 2 to 4 inch mane coat fare well in the winter dun will take care that... Nice pedigree transport in Norway since 1922 lighter as they age and that the ancestors of the Fjordhorse colors that... In Nordfjord Fjord welsh x gelding standing 13.2h stout build and suitable white dun fjord horse Edenvalley! Horse ’ s believed that the original Fjord horse has been performing farming in... 120 people on Pinterest colour itself is a variety of red dun, 2005, OH Wynn FC! Some Fjord horses are dun white dun fjord horse therefore they are also used as a harness horse and its ancestors been! Markings, notably zebra stripes on the legs is paler than the body the! By Modellen and great agility or cream hairs in the Fjord has a strong, arched neck,,. Used both as a war mount it look layered like a sandwich mature at Fact!

Britten Norman Islander For Sale, Lyons Elite Bathtub Reviews, Campbellsville University Volleyball, High Waisted Pull-on Pants, 2014 Ashes Stats, Relicanth Omega Ruby, Imran Khan 1992 World Cup Final, Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart Ukulele Chords, Strange Terrain Nightfall 2020, Mystikal The Man Right Chea, How Accurate Is Payscale, Tron: Legacy Stream,